Thursday, September 18, 2008


visited 24 states (48%)
Create your own visited map of The United States

So Katy posted a map with all the places she's visited. I thought I would post one as well. I had to reflect on what I was going to include. You see, I could include a few states, but I don't remember even passing through them. Here are some story lines to go along with the states I remember being in; in alphabetical order:

(I have a surprising dearth of A states)

California - Grandpa Bezzant's House in the hills near the SF Bay. I remember trips to the dump and ice cream stops. I also remember going to where Grandpa Cummings lived in Pasadena, seeing the Mars Observer Satellite fail, and seeing a lot of observatories. I also remember eating Crystallized Date Shakes in Indio, CA when I visited with Aaron and Cousin David (I think it was near Thermal). Last but not least there is Lake Almanor and the famed Bezzant Cabin, to which I went a few times in youth and twice during college for Thanksgiving.

Connecticut - "the state of my birth" (This phrase originated on a trip to get to EFY UMass 2008, it sounds like a state of entropy or something... and that's why it was funny) Also of note, some really awkward conversations also occurred in a car heading north about "if my umbilical cord was twitching" because I was going through the state of my birth. Ah, the memories. I am sad to say that we didn't dwell longer, though. I would have liked to do more than refuel. Other than this trip, I don't recall having returned since birth.

Florida - When I think of Florida, I think only of the reason I want to go there. Disney World. I think that about cover it, as I have been three times and don't plan to stop there. I think whomever I marry will have to at least entertain the thought of a honeymoon there. Is it asking too much to at least think about it?

Georgia - Waiting in an airport after leaving Disney World, or (going to?). I didn't even get a peach.

Iowa - I remember going through parts of this to get to other parts of LDS Church History. I think we were all sick with a stomach bug as well.

Maryland - I live across the river from Maryland, so I get there often. Memorable points are the Washington, D.C. Temple, Greenbriar Lake and Cunningham Falls before that.

Massachusetts - Aside from the fact that I have cool cousins there that I haven't visited... I went there for EFY as a Health Counselor this year in Amherst. It was pretty cool, and I loved getting lost for two hours in the backwards parts of Massachusetts. That is not meant to sound sarcastic, because I really thought it was very green and peaceful.

Missouri - The first thing that comes to mind is visiting the (then) RLDS temple. After that, however, are things that mean more to me, like the Far West temple site, Independence, and the Liberty Jail.

Nebraska - Yup, I remember this state for a phrase from John Bytheway's tape "What Are You Carrying in Your Backpack?". It was one of the tapes I used to listen to in my youth, and I always laughed when he said "... and anytime I expected to see a sign saying 'welcome to Nebraska.'" Anyways, we spent a LONG time passing through this state.

Nevada - Men's Chorus tour in 2007 that took us to Las Vegas and the Henderson Pavillion. Also a road trip in the green hornet/lantern/SANNHET that resulted in my first 911 call as we thought we were going to run out of gas on a mountain pass in the middle of a snowstorm and freeze to death. Yup, fun times. ("I'm more than a bird, more than a plane" - from a song that kept playing on the radio). The trucker we woke up in Oasis that refused to help when our cell battery died, etc. SOOO fun! When we finally got to the other side, we tried to call in and let them know that we made it on fumes and faith, but the 911 dispatcher had no idea what we were talking about... Oh well.

New Hampshire - I should have been here for the first EFY session ever, but instead I was in NY. Most memorable is Lake Winnipesauke where the Cummings 50th Anniversary was held. I still remember the fun stuff and the little kid wanting to hang with the older boys drama. I'm sure they loved it, right?

New Jersey - I'm sure there is more, but all I have for now is that I stayed at Sarah Wanlass' house while Jenny and I visited NYC.

New York - Chorus trip Sophomore or Junior Year with Marie (we either won third or nothing at all). Also a fun trip to Dad's work's apartment where I say Phantom of the Opera again, then an awesome trip with EFY counselors my first year in 2006 where we saw Hairspray, rode The Beast, and didn't climb the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty. (I am never going to go to the Statue of Liberty again unless I actually get to go all the way up. Waiting for hours to see the pedestal is not my thing...) I also liked Ellis Island. I would love to live here for 3 months, maybe on an internship.

North Carolina - many family Memorial Day beach vacations, a recent trip with (who else?) EFY counselors last month, and climbing Cape Hatteras Light House 4-5 times. I even got it in before they moved it. So many times, you say? I must like it a lot. Actually, I absolutely refuse to climb it again. My family has gotten me up there for pictures the last 4 times, but no more. I am learning Photoshop and know well enough how to put myself in. That is all.

Pennsylvania - I took a BDLS and ADLS course at Einstein Medical Center there recently. I liked visiting Philadelphia and Valley Forge for the historical value with the family recently.

South Carolina - I was there for Aaron and Katy's wedding. I liked seeing the Lexington Temple, and there was good food.

South Dakota - the famed Black Hills, Biker Conventions, more bikers, Harleys, etc. Also Mount Rushmore.

Texas - I spent an hour layover here before I left the US and landed in El Salvador, the furthest south I have ever gone. I remember seeing the Restroom signs in the Airport with larger lettering for Spanish than English and thinking it was weird... Damas and Caballeros, uh, why not Mujeres and Hombres? I also wouldn't mind living in Texas.

Utah - This is obvious, BYU, SLC, Gpa. Bezzant, Mormonville. I also really enjoyed coming out of my shell a little during Education Week visits.

Vermont - Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory.

Virginia - Leesburg: my home town. Buena Vista/SVU - the place that holds the 2nd most important place in my heart as far as VA. (I spent 2 years as and EFY participant and 3 as a Health Counselor, made a lot of friends, and learned a lot about myself).

West Virginia - I have visited this place just to visit a couple of times. I make frequent jokes about it, but they are no more true than they are about 90% of Virginians as well. I went to an interesting stake "high adventure" in WV.

I've just realized that in order to drive cross country as we did, there needs to be contiguous marking on the map. I can't remember which states we went through. Maybe y'all can help remind me?

Also, coming next - states I haven't visited and what I want to do there... Feel free to suggest something to do in the states I am missing in the comments.