Saturday, October 31, 2009

Kon-Tiki


So last night I went to a Halloween party thrown by a friend of a friend, and I ran into a guy who is Norwegian. We talked about the usual stuff, as my dad served his mission there, and I have visited once. The guy is a student at BYU, studying International Relations (maybe you will meet him too Michelle) and Econ. This actually is rather surprising to me, as I have met several people from Norway here at BYU, one of which I actually met in Norway first... The guy's name is Tor, so naturally I asked if he was named after Thor Heyerdahl, of Kon-Tiki and Ra expedition fame. He said no, (Tor/Thor is a common name after the Norse god), but was impressed that I knew the name. In fact, I have been to the Kon-Tiki museum in Bygdøy, Norway. I have also been to a lecture by Thor Heyerdahl. I even read Kon-Tiki once. I should probably read it again. Anyways, if you are not in the know about one of these famous Norwegians, here is the opportunity.

An Oscar-winning documentary on Kon-Tiki





and of course, the wikipedia page.

PS. Thank you Dad, so much, for taking me along on that business trip years ago. Many good memories, and I can now say I have watched my sister fall in a fjord...