Sunday, September 7, 2008

The return...

(at L it's me at the OBX with some EFY Counselor friends clumping)


I've done a pretty good job keeping up with all y'all's blogs, but I haven't done a great job keeping up with mine.  I am going to give a quick update on my past, present and future.

Past:
In the past I posted some of my goals.  Here is the update:
I carried my beginning Braille book with me all summer, and didn't take the chance to feel it up at all.  (Actually, I am learning to "read" it with my eyes first).  So that isn't going super well, but I did do some research and am narrowing it down to which book of fine literature I am going to purchase to fuel my desire to learn to read with my fingers.  It is definitely going to be one of the Hardy Boys series.

I am not much closer to finishing the Appalachian Trail hike I'd love to do than I am to starting it.  I have, however, made the acquaintance of an EFY counselor who was a ranger (the one who starts troops out on their trips) at Philomont Scout Ranch.  She has quite a lot of knowledge about that sort of thing, and I was impressed, so I am going to need to do some research to get to know the requisite info before I embark on what will likely be 2-3 month trips.

I started my ASL class at NOVA last week.  I guess if I can't read with my hands, I can at least start to learn to speak with them.  I know the words for right, wrong, yes, no, "you're over my head", "slow down", boring, Republican, Democrat, "If McCain gets elected I'm moving to Canada" (my teacher is, I think, a Democrat : ), and the alphabet as well as numbers one through five and the word "first".  I have learned that there is a continuum of deaf speech which goes all the way from "Signed Exact English" to "Pidgin Sign" to ASL.  ASL and SEE are the extremes with most deaf culture groups/people using Pidgin Sign, although the only actual language is ASL.  What does that make SEE and Pidgin, dialects?  I'll need to look up the definition.  Very interesting.

I started Paramedic classes again last week as well.  This semester I am taking Special Populations (Pediatric/Neonatal/Geriatric/Obstetric patients), Medical Care (with an Advanced Cardiac Life Support Class, though I am already ACLS certified), and the ever popular clinical (6 hrs now vs. 3 last semester) and the added bonus of 12 hr internship on an Ambulance.  The one hitch is that I need to recertify (technically called "reentry" in this case, but never mind) my EMT.  I am not sure if I passed my re-certification test.  I really hope I passed, but if I don't I will just recertify a few weeks later and postpone this semester (stinky option, but I am looking into other ones, all while hoping I passed).

Going to space.  Yup, that one's gonna take a little while.  The closest I have gotten has been dinner table conversations and looking at this site for the chance to have a Zero-G flight like the ones the astronauts train on.  Yup, $4,950

Speaking of weightlessness; Griffon, the coaster at Busch Gardens, is my next quarry.  Some time in October I think.  Watch this space for the recounting of the experience...

That's all for now folks.  I'll be dealing up another update soon.  Any suggestions?