Saturday, September 19, 2009

I have a job, and some classes

So I've had some questions about what a "Health Promoter" does. Essentially they develop programs to increase awareness, compliance, safety and health in the community or industries they choose to work in. The reason I am in this track instead of say, Environmental/Occupational Health or Epidemiology, is that I plan to use this training and knowledge to make me a better Paramedic. I see the more progressive EMS systems in the country as taking a more public health oriented course in their future. I mean, why not? Trauma and chronic disease (the major reasons for EMS utilization) are public health problems. In some EMS systems, they are identifying at risk patients (usually "frequent fliers"), and developing programs to decrease their need to visit the Emergency Department. For example, a diabetic who is non-compliant with his oral medication and diet recommendations frequently calls 911 for low blood sugars and minor injuries related to his peripheral neuropathy (a complication of uncontrolled diabetes). If the EMS system preemptively came by his house at scheduled intervals and visited with him, they might prevent his need to utilize the EMS system for transport to the hospital. They might go over a checklist where they offer to check his blood sugar, look through his refrigerator to see if he has appropriate meal options. Check his supply of oral medication, and if low or depleted, offer recommendations on low cost prescription options ($4 prescription plans, etc.). They could also survey the house and try to eliminate trip hazards and make sure he has a pair of "house shoes" to prevent foot injuries, a precursor to diabetic ulcers and injuries that require amputation. All this could be done in an hour, and in that prevention visit, which probably costs the community $70, they could avoid a trip to the ED that would cost over $1400, which would also be charged to the hospital and the community if the patient is unable to pay (honestly, most patients that match this description can't). I could help develop those programs, after getting some Paramedic street cred.

/Rave.

So anyways, I have a job. I am a research assistant for a father-son professor team on campus. They teach in my department and I actually have classes from them both. I am researching articles describing experiments done to prove the ideas behind the upcoming changes in the First Aid Guidelines put out by the American Red Cross and American Heart Association. This is the first research position, so these first weeks have been about getting used to the searches etc. Later next week I will present what I have so far so I can restart it and do it the right way after they give me comments on what I have so far. It's going to be for a book used in First Aid Training. And I get to pick my hours. Sweet, but tempting to put in fewer hours than I need to, as I don't have "scheduled hours."

Classes are good. As I mentioned, I am taking classes from my employers (professors). They are both named Thygerson (said THUR-ga-son). The father teaches my Injury Prevention class, and the son teaches my Occupational Safety and Health class. Injury Prevention is being taught using a team learning approach. We take a test every class, once as individuals, once as teams. We do an application activity as a team every week, and starting next week, we will be doing team presentations on interventions to prevent specific injuries (in 2 weeks, my team covers Occupant Protection in Motor Vehicle Collisions, I am covering the "seat belt reminder light" and it's effectiveness in preventing injury). I am surprised how much I like this class as well as my Occupational Health class. I find the idea of being a safety manager at a company interesting. My other classes are the Public Health Intro class, which I have yet to get a seat in (I am enrolled, but there are exactly the number of students as there are seats, and no one scoots to the center of the aisle.) Also Program Planning and Evaluation, which is only once a week. The teacher is interesting, but his lectures are very scatter brained. I guess we'll see how I do on the first test... Aside from that I am getting credit for research, taking a Geology class for GEs and also taking the EMS Continuing Ed class.

Yup, I'm doing BYU EMS again. I am a "floating" supervisor this year, meaning I fill in where needed. I will be co-teaching some of the classes this year as well, specifically the Pediatrics Section. More on this later probably.

As far as fun stuff, I spent the night at a friend's cabin up near Sundance. I went last year for an EFY Counselor Clump, and just like last year it was a blast. Thanks Davis and Jenna for inviting me. Great night sky, clear crisp mountain air, and staying up till 4am talking to friends. It was great.

So that's the last week in a nutshell. Take care all!