Monday, September 7, 2009

Ins and outs, ups and downs

So where have I been in life for the past months? In order of majority percentage wise, I put it like this:

Finishing my National Registry Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic Certification (NREMT-P)
Sleeping
Working full time hours at a "part time" job... (Inova Loudoun Hospital Emergency Department)
Getting ready for BYU
Getting ready for Michelle and Greg's wedding
Spending time with my nieces and nephews (their parents are great too...)
Cleaning my room.

That's life in a nutshell for what I have been doing since January. To expound a bit, also in categories.

NREMT-P
I finished my clinicals with little time to spare. My personal favorites among the clinicals were the NICU (Neonatal/Newborn ICU) followed closely by the OR rotation where I got to do intubations on live persons! In the NICU at Mary Washington, I finished my Pediatric requirements, assessed 14 newborns, changed some diapers, got to ask lots of questions, and attended two C-Sections (one for Pregnancy Induced Hypertension/PIH, the other for being several days past due with failure to progress). I finally got to practice some of the skills I learned a few years ago in my Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) class I took at LDS Hospital. I think if I were to take on nursing, I would want to be a NICU nurse. As for the OR, I choked on my first intubation, which is not unusual. I just couldn't seem to get his mouth open wide enough to put the laryngoscope in to visualize the vocal cords. That gentleman was in for a nephrectomy (kidney removal due to a tumor). The next one, which I did get, was a lady who was to have a D&C due to miscarriage, but instead, ended up having a partial salpingectomy (fallopian tube removal), because of an undiagnosed tubal pregnancy... The next few I had were gall bladder removals (cholecystectomy), and one was for a bronchoscopy, where the surgeon explained the anatomy as he passed the bronchoscope. All in all, it was fascinating. I practiced ventilation of real adult and pediatric patients, saw several pediatric intubations for tonsillectomies, and saw a fasciotomy for compartment syndrome. Although some of the anesthesiologists and anesthetists were, let's say reluctant to acknowledge my presence, some were downright hospitable and taught me a lot. As for the testing, the Computer Adaptive written portion cut off at 85 questions (I passed), and the practical portion, I also passed the first time around. I got sent this really ugly patch to prove it too! I am really glad to be finished with the program, and feel like I can use these skills to improve the lives of others.




Sleeping - 'nuff said...

Working full time hours at a "part time" job - I was slated for 24 hours, but have been working 36 for the last few months. This nearly led to me not finishing the paramedic program, as that is also pretty much like full time schooling with a part time job (clinicals) already... Anyways, the people at Loudoun were good to me, and it helped me earn some needed capital for the upcoming semesters.

Getting ready for BYU - I am back at BYU for a full year to finish up my bachelors. I started at BYU in 2001, went on a mission in 2002, returned for 2004-2007, then had to leave due to some personal circumstances (this did allow me to finish my paramedic, though) I have changed my major to Public Health - Health Promotion. I know that a lot of people finish school in 8 years. Most of them are called Doctor : ) Anyways, I am looking forward to my classes, and next week will write little blurbs about them and my professors, as well as the research I am doing.

Michelle and Greg's Wedding! - Michelle got married, Greg is my new brother-in-law, and the Teichert Family is amazing. What more can I say? To see some great pictures, see the blot on the side "30 Marens Agree."

Spending time with nieces and nephews - Wouldn't you if they looked like this?





They are pretty adorable if I do say so myself!

Cleaning my room - I need to get rid of so much stuff, it isn't funny!

So on goes life, and hopefully a weekly blog posting habit! Hope all is well with you all, have a great Labor Day!